Where would we be without Facebook?

If there’s one thing that can be said for Facebook, it sure has exposed us to things we didn’t know existed, and afterward we wish we still didn’t know.
Who knew a couple of photos of a grumpy-looking cat could be used in so many ways and to express curmudeonly opinions on everything from cute kitties to international diplomatic policy?
Who could have imagined there are that many cute kittens, puppies, baby ducks, infant aardvarks, tiny armadillos and babies in the world? And photos of every single one of them.
I had no idea how many plant seeds, pods and fruits could be made to look like the most hideous things imaginable bursting from people’s skin. And I’ve seen some pretty disgusting things in my life.
Where else could you find dietary recommendations for properly preparing Spam, gluten-free lawn salads, sparkling waters that can cleanse your digestive system at the speed of light and more food photos than you thought could exist (guilty, on that one).
If you’re trying to diet, however, just look at those photos of seed pods disguised as skin-bursting parasites; that’ll make you lose your appetite.
Now, I won’t go into the politics on Facebook because, quite frankly, that’s too scary. I mean, there are some folks so far out on the fringes that Pluto is in walking distance. Left or right, if this stuff is representative of the political craziness out there, no wonder this country is in the shape it’s in. It makes the black helicopters tales of the ’80s look rationale.
I’m especially enjoy the philosophical thoughts found online, such as:
 “Unfortunately, my daydreams about being skinny are always interrupted by the sound of my own chewing”
 “I hope the NCAA tournament doesn’t cut into study time for the students taking the players’ tests”
 “Congratulations on having one last birthday that doesn’t require some kind of medical exam”
 “Just once I would like to read a medication label that says ‘Warning: May cause permanent weight loss, remove wrinkles and increase energy.’”
 “Just once in my life, I’d actually like to see a liar’s pants catch on fire.” (I’ll pay $5 for a front-row seat at Congress when this happens.)
Then there are the quotes from famous people:
 “Of course, I never met Kanye West.” Will Rogers
 “Seriously, I was just cleaning my derringer.” John Wilkes Booth
 “Some of us are too pretty for just 15 minutes of fame.” Kim Kardashian
 “Go forth and multiply.” Jim Bob Duggar’s wedding toast for his children
 “I wouldn’t say Obama is the devil. ... No, wait, ... yes I would.” Pat Robertson
 “Stupid is as stupid does.” Congress
 “Where did all these Native Americans come from?” George Armstrong Custer
 “Honesty is the best policy ... yeah, right.” Bernie Madoff
 “To err is human, to really mess it up, it takes a computer.” Benjamin Franklin.
 “There I was, eye to eye with Attila the Hun ...” Brian Williams
 “While much of what you find is accurate, remember that not everything on the Internet is true.” Abraham Lincoln.
You always can count on good ol’ Abe to summarize everything.
Facebook is good for finding old friends and relatives (even though they may not have wanted to be found) and for sharing information (some of the best recipes I’ve experimented came from FB) even if we do have scroll through dozens of cat pictures and smarmy memes. And it definitely helps broaden one’s horizons and mind, although if I see those stupid seed pod-as-parasite pictures again, I may just post a harsh comment.
But, I suppose Honest Abe did have point when he said: “Always keep an open mind, like me. For example, I don’t really like the theater, but I’m going to give it a shot."

Comments

Popular Posts