To Kim - Happy anniversary, Sweet Lady

It’s hard to believe it’s been 33 years since Kim and I said “I do.” I’m surprised she’s put up with me this long.
We celebrated the occasion quietly Thursday evening with dinner at home, just the two of us ... and Lola the Wonder Dachshund. Amelia was at work. We’ve discovered those little quiet moments alone are nice every once in awhile, although we’re still not ready for the empty-nest syndrome whenever it arrives.
If you think about it, three decades-plus is a long time and lots has changed since that June day in 1980 when we stood at the altar and exchanged vows. For example, my hair is thinner and my waist is thicker. ... Oh, all right, most of the hair is gone. In my eyes, Kim’s as good-looking as she was that day, although she might try to differ with me.
In several ways, we prove the old adage that opposites attract. Oh, there’s plenty in common between to two of us, but there are differences, mostly in tastes. I like the blues and some hardcore rock, and she can’t stand them. Our common ground is country music and oldies. I’d love to have a motorcycle, or at least a trike, but Kim, not so much. We both would love to have an RV that’s ready for a getaway at the drop of a hat. (She likes the idea of a couple of scooters to go with an RV, though.) One thing we’ve developed together is a love of getting out on the road, although these days time and money are limiting our road trips.
I like action, sci-fi, some scary, well, just about any kind of movie. Her preferences are romantic, heart-tugging, true-life movies. We both like comedies and good dramas. That carries over to some TV shows, although more and more we’re finding ourselves to be like my Aunt Johnnie and Uncle Ben — spending evenings watching Discovery Channel, Food Network, Animal Planet, TLC and Game Show Network ... and “Days of Our Lives.”
Since we’ve been married, Kim’s grown to enjoy spicy foods (her hot wings are the best) almost as much as I do. She even calls folks who can’t handle the slightest heat wimps.I wasn’t overly fond of children way back when, but Kim’s love of children wore off on me. Good thing, too, since we had two of our own to brighten our lives. Now, a child can melt my heart.
One thing I’ve caught myself doing lately is remembering those early days in our marriage. We had a house that the FHA and I owned, and my original plan was to turn it around to make a little money and get another. It was our home for 11 years, and after that my Mom and Dad lived there. That first summer we were married was a hot one, weatherwise. We had a couple of fans and lots of open windows, and spent most evenings cooling off in the lake. Both of us wonder if we could handle a summer without air conditioning now.
We still had my shelves made of cinder blocks and 2x8s, and a component stereo system for playing records and eight-tracks. (Ask your grandparents about them.) Kim had a decent-sized TV while I brought a portable TV with a screen smaller than most laptop screens. (And “laptop” then was where you put your napkin.) While we acquired some furniture, I came into our marriage with those shelves, a bed, a beanbag chair and a set of redwood lawn furniture Kim’s parents had let me store for them in my living room.
It was about that time this video thing came along, so we’d rent Beta movies (ask your grandparents) from Mr. Movie when we stayed home rather than going to the movies (that air conditioning in the theaters sure was nice). One Thanksgiving eve we rented a disc player and a couple of discs— that’s laser disc player and laser discs, which weren’t nearly as compact as we have today.
Throughout those early days, and even now, we never really knew what we saw in one another. But, there was something that drew us to one another, and still keeps us together. Maybe, as some folks say, it was something that was meant to be, that Kim and I were the ones destined for each other. Whatever it is, we still like it, and love one another.
Amethyst is supposed to be the 33rd anniversary gift, but since I don’t have any I hope these words will be all right for her. Happy anniversary, Sweet Lady.

Comments

Popular Posts