The Answer Dude cometh

One lesson I've learned being in the news business is that everything's always changing, even in the hallowed halls of Sixth and Hickory. For example, I've gone from carving stories onto stone tablets to digitally zapping them through the Internet to smartphones and smarter watches.
Moving into the new digital era of journalism, there are adjustments to be made; some are drastic, some involve a bit of fine-tuning and others fall in between. That's the case with me and my column. After more than 30 years of musing and pondering, it's time for a little adjustment. And something new.
The new is a new column for Wednesdays we've dubbed "The Answer Dude." Yep, that's me. After years of wondering and raising questions, I now will be "The Answer Dude." In my new role, I'll be looking for answers to questions you may have about almost anything, and I'm counting on you to provide the questions.
Now, I'm not talking about philosophical questions like, "Why is there air?" or "If a husband speaks in the forest alone is he still wrong?" (Besides, everyone knows those answers are to blow up balloons and yes.) And I can't give you the winning lottery numbers ahead of the drawing (not that I'd share those anyway) or find your true love (try Match.com).
But, if you want to know something like how did the cross get on top of the hill across from Buffalo City, when is the new Aarons supposed to open in Mountain Home, where can I find a good Reuben sandwich, how did Monkey Run get its name, or is there really a bridge at the bottom of Norfork Lake — then you've come to the right place because The Answer Dude will find your answers.
Don't be shy. Feel free to send me questions. You can email The Answer Dude here at Sixth and Hickory at sgarrett@baxterbulletin.com, or snail mail it to 16 W. Sixth St., Mountain Home, AR 72653. You can find me on Facebook at SonnyGarrett BaxterBulletin, and @BulletinSonnyG on Twitter. You can call, too, at 508-8053.
Get hold of me with your questions, and we'll have fun learning a few things as I look for the answers, and be sure to look for The Answer Dude on Wednesdays.
Another change has to do with Odds & Ends. Through the years, I've opined here about serious topics of the day, shared memories and nostalgia with you, talked about family and personal events, and generally shared observations about life. I'll still do some of that, but for the most part, look for me to focus a bit more seriously on the topics of the day. Lately, those seem to be the ones being read the most and, in our current journalistic jargon, that generate more engagement and conversation.
That doesn't mean I'm going to turn completely serious, or won't inject a bit of humor into a topic. Some topics are so serious you just have to throw in something to lift the spirits; take politicians ... please. Besides, I can't be anyone other than my usual cynical, sarcastic self in my column, or people might think I've started channeling Tony Robbins.
So understand that I'm counting on you folks for two things: Stay with me as I begin this new approach to Odds & Ends, especially online, and start sending in those questions so The Answer Dude can dig up the answers you need.

Comments

Popular Posts